Friday, April 4, 2008

brown eyed angels

Many people use awareness-ribbons to display a mostly feigned concern for issues they know little about, as this great review discusses.*

*Note: If you're on facebook, the act of joining facebook groups that advocate this social cause or that political movement might be your most immediate way to forming flattering fabrications - of constructing your own personal counsel of angels.**

**Abraham Lincoln: If I were to try to read, much less answer, all the attacks made on me, this shop might as well be closed for any other business. I do the very best I know how - the very best I can; and I mean to keep doing so until the end. If the end brings me out all right, what's said against me won't amount to anything. If the end brings me out wrong, ten angels swearing I was right would make no difference.

Be truthful because life is short; and know that we are only the sum of our actions.

1 comment:

Wooff said...

ribbons, facebook groups, bumper stickers, elastic wristbands, lawn signs, t-shirts: all ways to let other people know how great you are. The original cause is always subordinated because the kitsch isn't about the cause at all. It's about the kitsched.
It's an illusion of action. Awareness in human consciousness has no necessary linkage to action. The kitsch might bring a dull awareness of at least the current name of some perceived social ill, but usually little more. Then the dully aware can delude this knowledge as action, look down at his wrist or lapel and feel that he is conquering.
In fact, if I was an evil halliburton-esque entity bent on performing large scale evil, i should think that my first order of business would be to print a few million ribbons against my cause and distribute them generously. I would rest well then, knowing that the ribboned herds are quite sure they are stopping me.