Tuesday, December 25, 2007

children of war


Can people become accustomed to their surroundings so well that even conflict zones become livable, exacting little to no punishment on their psychological state? I admit I once entertained the thought. I felt that if you grew up in a war-torn region, regularly witnessing violence and unanounced disruptions of even great scale, you would eventually view them as minor inconveniences with no major costs. Well, I was wrong. It turns out Palestinian children in the West Bank (and I'm sure this would apply to those in the Gaza strip as well) and Jewish children in settlements are more susceptible to various anxiety disorders because of the constant state of war they have found themselves in. Read this archived article for more.

The article hints at the effect this would have on future societies. I mean, widespread mental illness is nothing to base a community on.

No comments: