Monday, August 27, 2007

SFF

I don't believe in the goodness of man; the wickedness of man. I don't believe in the necessary brotherhood of man; the divisions of man. I don't believe Hegel when he says history is law-governed, propelling and compelling us towards a certain future. I don't believe in Fukuyama. I don't believe in the essence of man. I don't believe we are naturally this or naturally that. I believe in our capacity to imagine new ways of being. To hope for what has not come before. I believe we can remain tough-minded - avoiding naivete - while working towards a paradise on earth. So look up. "The clouds are lifting - the sun is breaking through. We are coming out of the darkness into the light. We are coming into a new world. A kind new world where men will rise above their hate and brutality. The soul of man has been given wings - and at last he is beginning to fly. He is flying into the rainbow - into the light of hope - into the future, that glorious future that belongs to you, to me and to all of us. Look up. Look up."

No comments: